October 20th - 23rd 2019
1. General conditions
The competition is for performers divided into three age groups as follows:
- First group:
A/ 9-11 years
B/ 12-14 years
- Second group: 15-18 years.
- Third group: 19-28 years
The registration for the competition can only be made through the APPLICATION FORM with a picture sent on the e-mail address of EMA Foundation - firstname.lastname@example.org to 06.10.2019. The application form can be downloaded from here: to be posted
First group: 9-11 years
A/ Two pieces of choice of different character with a duration of up to 12 minutes.
B/ 12-14 years
1. E. Kohler – 25 Romantische Etüden op.66 Etud No 8
or Etud No 12
2. G. Telemann – 12 Fantasien 5. Fantasie or 8. Fantasie
3. One of the following pieces:
a. J. İbert- Le Petit Ane Blanc
b. S. Lancen- Ariette
4. A. Karastoyanov – Rıtschetitsa
Second group: 15-18 years
1. Michel Blavet- Concerto in A minore- 1-st mov.
2. One of the following pieces:
a) P. A. Genin - Fantasy sur Rigoletto
b) P. A. Genin – Fantasie sur “La Traviata”
c) B. Godard – Suite de Trois Morceaux
3. Milko Kolarov - ''Scherzo''
Third group: 19-28 years
1. C. Ph .E. Bach - Sonata for flute solo - a moll /without repetitions/
2. Edgar Varese - ''Density 21.5” (1936) for flute solo
1.W.A.Mozart - Flute concerto D dur 1-st movement /first part/ with cadence.
2.One of the following pieces:
a) A.Jolivet - ''Chant de Linos''
b) A.Casella - ''Sicilienne et burlesque''
c) H.Dutilleux - ''Sonatine''
d) F. Borne – Fantasie brillante sur Carmen
e) F. Doppler – Airs Valaques op.10
3. Marin Walchanov -'' Fantasy''
4. Programme of the competition, jury, awards
1. The order of appearance of candidates will be alphabetical.
2. Participants who do not appear in the prescribed order will be disqualified.
3. Playing with original notes is desirable.
4. The participants will be evaluated by a special jury with chairman Prof. Georgi Spasov (Bulgaria) and members - Prof. Ayla Uludere (Turkey), prof. Berten D’Hollander (Belgium), prof. Raphael Leone (Austria), prof. Filip Pavlov (Bulgaria), prof. Vladimiriv Kudrya (Russia), Desislava Tinkova Dobreva (Bulgaria, fury for group Ia).
5. The prizes given by the jury will be based on the performance of participants during the competition.
6. It is possible to participate in a higher group (by request of the applicant), but a group cannot be skipped.
7. The first place winners in every group can participate again in the same group.
8. The members of the jury are not allowed to vote on the performances of their own students.
9. The jury's decisions are final and indisputable.
10.. There will be three prizes in each category:
- First prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, subject prize.
- Second prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, subject prize.
- Third prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, subject prize.
- First prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 150 €;
- Second prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 100 €;
- Third prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 50 €.
- First prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 200 €;
- Second prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 150 €;
- Third prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 100 €.
- First prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 500 €;
- Second prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 200 €;
- Third prize - Laureate diploma, the Award of the European Music Academy, 150 €.
- The organizer reserves the right to give other prizes - cash and / or items. These awards will be given by the jury, which has to comply with the donors' wish, if any. The jury may not give all the prizes.
- Jury Award. Each member of the jury will award one participant of his / her choice with a three-day training course in the Conservatory where he / she teaches (all the means of travel and stay in the respective country are borne by the student).
- Award of the Union of Bulgarian Composers – it will be given from a Bulgarian composer, part of the jury, for the best performance of Bulgarian piece. Moreover, there will be other special awards from the Union of Bulgarian composers.
- Incentive prizes will be awarded by the Mayor of Varna - Ivan Portnih and others.
5. Fee and accommodation
* The participation fee for each group will be as follows:
- First group: A/ 40 €;
B/ 45 €;
- Second group: 50 €;
- Third group: 55 €
* If participants wish to be provided with accompanist they should pay additional fees as follows:
- 1 rehearsal 30 minutes - 10 €;
- competition presentation - 15 €;
- rehearsals have to be paid in advance.
* All travel, accommodation and food costs are at the expense of the participant.
* Accommodation: The Navy Club (Voennomorski Klub) Hotel and Events Center -2 stars - Varna ; 2 Vladislav Varnenchik Blvd.
- Price per person in a double room with breakfast - 16 €;
- Price per person in a double room - 14 €.
- There is a possibility for a Full board offer with three meals, please ask for an offer.
* To ease the participants, all rehearsals will be held in specially provided halls in the hotel.
* The rehearsal schedule will be available at the hotel lobby.
* The payment can be made on the arrival, as well as through a bank transfer:
Address: Varna, Bulgaria
Reason for payment: International Flute Competition Varna 2019
6. Final regulations
- Each participant ensures accompanist, unless they have stated they want to be provided with one.
- It is desirable part of the music compositions to be performed by heart.
– Two weeks before the official start of the competition we will publish the names of the participants and the order of appearance. The acoustic repetitions will be on the 20-st of October.
- All the participants MUST be present on the 20-st of October for the Opening of the competition.
- Participation in the competition implies recognition of the above mentioned rules.
Note: The organisers reserve the right to make changes regarding the conduction of the event.
The organiser keeps the right to make changes in the schdule and the order of play in following cases:
- when a participants performs in two groups;
- when an applicant has had a flight change and has less than 20 hours for some rest and rehearsal before appearing on stage.
When submitting the application form, each participant over the age of 18 and the parents of the participants under the age of 18 give their consent that photos and videos made during the competition and the final concert are posted on the internet and other media and used from EMA for marketing purposes as well as their personal data to be stored and used from EMA for the purposes of the competition.